- To seek and incorporate public input regarding our products and operations.
- To provide chemicals that can be manufactured, transported, used and disposed of safely.
- To make health, safety, the environment and resource conservation critical considerations for all new and existing products and processes.
- To provide information on health or environmental risks and pursue protective measures for employees, the public and other key stakeholders.
- To work with customers, carriers, suppliers, distributors and contractors to foster the safe use, transport and disposal of chemicals.
- To operate our facilities in a manner that protects the environment and the health and safety of our employees and the public.
- To support education and research on the health, safety and environmental effects of our products and processes.
- To work with others to resolve problems associated with past handling and disposal practices.
- To lead in the development of responsible laws, regulations and standards that safeguard the community, workplace and environment.
- To practice Responsible Care ® by encouraging and assisting others to adhere to these principles and practices.
Responsible Care Management System
Responsible Care is moving beyond codes of management practices to achieve better EHS performance and obtain more business value for our members and Partners. The RCMS replaces the current practice of applying six Codes (e.g., community awareness and emergency response, distribution, employee health and safety, pollution prevention, process safety and product stewardship) with a combined 106 management practices. Instead, relevant aspects of the existing Codes are subsumed into a RCMS that is based on benchmarked best practices of leading private sector companies, initiatives developed through the Global Environmental Management Initiative, International Standards Organization and other bodies, and requirements of national regulatory authorities. The framework for the RCMS is:
- Policy & Leadership
- Leadership Responsibility - Commitment
- Planning (PLAN)
- Define Risks/Hazards - Objectives & Targets
- Process/Program Development - Communications
- Implementation, Operation & Accountability (DO)
- Training - Documentation
- Procedures - Management of Change and Employee Empowerment
- Performance Measurement & Corrective Action (CHECK)
- Self-Assessment - Incident Investigations
- Internal Audits - Records Management
- Corrective/Preventative Action - Measurements
- Management Systems Review (ACT)
- Management Systems Review